HOW WI-TRONIX’S VIOLET VISION CAN HELP YOUR COMPANY MEET REGULATION REQUIREMENTS
With Transport Canada’s upcoming Locomotive Voice and Video Recorder (LVVR) regulation, your railroad may be impacted soon. Wi-Tronix can be the one-stop solution to help your railroad meet these requirements.
Wi-Tronix’s unique hardware capabilities not only meet the requirements of Transport Canada’s LVVR regulation, but does so in a manner that helps improve safety, transparency, and visibility to your business.
Does my company fall into the category required to meet these regulations?
If your company falls into any of these categories, by September 2nd, 2022, you must be compliant with these regulations:
- Your company realized gross revenues of at least 250 million for the provision of rail services in Canada in each of the two preceding calendar years and operates controlling locomotives on five miles or more of tracking Canada.
- Your company operates a passenger train service within a municipality or between adjacent municipalities.
- Your company has 15 or more operating employees, operates controlling locomotives on 20 miles or more of track in Canada, operates at least one controlling locomotive at a speed of 25 mph, and if your company transports freight, generates more than 10% of its gross 10 miles on track in Canada.
If you fall into any of these three categories, you must meet compliance. Don’t worry, if you have any questions, contact someone from our Wi-Tronix team.
What are the hardware and software requirements within the new regulation?
The newly proposed Transport Canada regulation outlines required criteria for locomotive voice and video recorder regulations related to data capture and storage.
- Hardware must be equipped with at least one crash-protected memory module (CHM)
- Your device must continuously record voice and video data from the time the controlling locomotive engine is turned on until it is turned off
- Your device must not record data when the controlling locomotive engine is turned off
- Data must be stored for up to 48 hours on at least one crash-protected memory module
- Other than the most recent 48 hours of data that was stored by the LVVR system on the module, data should also automatically and permanently erase from any crash-protected memory module
- Device must be equipped with an alternate power supply or with a controlled shutdown feature that allows for a complete shutdown of the LVVR system in the event of a power interruption; and finally,
- Device must restart automatically when power is restored to the controlling locomotive engine
What is the solution to meet this new regulation?
This is a lot of information, and don’t let it distract you from running your business. Wi-Tronix has an all-in-one complete and readily-available solution that will aid your railroad in being able to fully comply with the Transport Canada requirements. With a software solution that is transparent and easy to adapt, technology can be a powerful tool for your company. Let Wi-Tronix’s latest Violet IoT platform be your one-stop solution.
How does the Violet fit in with the regulation?
Wi-Tronix helps our customers leverage critical information so you can make informed decisions with our accurate, timely, actionable data about your business. We do this through our software as a service solution (SaaS). Unlike other companies, we offer an all-in-one, cloud-based, back-office service that provides our customers with critical data through an automated sharing process. Here are a few examples of how our SaaS is different from the rest:
- We provide an automated, annual maintenance and remote testing of locomotive assets to confirm requirements of Transport Canada.
- Per regulation section 19, we provide an automated Chain of Custody process that ensures the integrity of remote download user activity. This has been a proven part of the Wi-Tronix solution for over a decade.
- Per regulation section 22, we provide a secure and private transfer of locomotive data as part of SOC 2 Type II and its five critical pillars:
- Chain of Custody
- Per regulation section 30, our solution provides customers with unique threat detection alerts, including mobile phone detection and camera obstruction which Wi-Tronix has patented.
- Finally, per regulation section 32, our system retains critical data with automated workflows.
Again, these are just a few examples of how Wi-Tronix offers a unique, all-in-one solution through a complete hardware and software package.
For more information or if you have any questions on how Wi-Tronix is here to assist your railroad with the upcoming regulation, contact email@example.com.